Home  /  News  /  Suffolk fibre optic broadband plans fast-tracked

Suffolk fibre optic broadband plans fast-tracked

Thursday, September 15th 2011 by Editorial
The county is aiming to begin its fibre broadband rollout before the end of 2012.

Suffolk's fibre optic broadband rollout plans have been fast-tracked by the government, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport has announced.

The county has been chosen as one of five areas to lead the programme of government-supported super-fast broadband deployments.

Local councillors can now begin the task of searching for a contractor to carry out the work, with the tender process set to run from April to September 2012. The rollout is expected to commence before the end of next year and be finished in March 2015.

Under Suffolk County Council's (SCC's) plans, 85 per cent of properties will receive access to fibre optic broadband with speeds of at least 20Mbps, while the remaining 15 per cent will benefit from wireless internet services.

Leader of SCC Mark Bee said: "This is the most important milestone so far in our campaign to deliver better broadband for Suffolk."

Rutland has also been given the go-ahead to push forward with its broadband plans, which have been part-funded by a £700,000 government allocation.